Indian street food is brimming with variety – and on our infrequent trips to India, we try our best to try everything! This sandwich is super satisfying; think grilled cheese meets veggie club for an ooey gooey, spicy, crunchy perfect sandwich! As always, we added a few ingredients to make it our own: coleslaw to give it some crunch (and make us feel healthier about eating it!), our homemade pickled jalapeños and cream cheese. The traditional version uses just butter but we love the creaminess that the cream cheese adds!
If you don’t have the patience (or ingredients!) to make the green chutney, you can easily use store bought: look for cilantro chutney at your local Indian store or at the ethnic section of a larger chain store (think Price Chopper or Walmart). Our two favorite brands are Mirch Masala and Swad though be warned the Mirch Masala version is a *touch* spicy, even for us!
Tips & Tricks
- Some recipes call for sliced green peppers, we personally don’t like them but feel free to add them should that work for you!
- We’ve noted the coleslaw and pickled jalapenos to be optional because they aren’t included in the traditional version, but in our opinion, they elevate the sandwich!
- We like sharp cheddar cheese but you can use a stronger cheese like Jarslberg, it will hold up really well to the other flavors
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
- Boiled potatoes
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red onions (optional)
- Diced pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Coleslaw mix (optional)
- Green chutney
- Sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Chaat masala – we used Shan brand
- Spread cream cheese and green chutney on either side
- Layer with potatoes and sprinkle chaat masala
- Layer with tomatoes and if using onions & jalapeños
- Sprinke with coleslaw and cheese and grill for a few minutes on either side until lightly browned