Sneha: Kulfi is an Indian ice cream that is traditionally made by slowly boiling down milk till its thickened to almost 1/3rd its starting volume. Now don’t get us wrong – you end up with the creamiest texture. BUT, you don’t always have hours to boil down milk, flavor it and freeze it. Enter our version of kulfi – prepped in 10 min. The only part you need patience for is letting it freeze overnight!
Ever look into your refrigerator and will some kind of delicious dessert magically show up? Well that’s how this creation came about – I was puttering around the kitchen and was trying to come up with dessert with what we had on hand: some leftover mango puree, condensed milk and a little bit of whipping cream from one of our previous macaron adventures. Well Karthik loves mango and the ingredients were so simple I thought to myself “how bad could it be?”. Answer: hella delicious!
We’ve made this dessert twice since then – once when my parents were visiting for Canadian Thanksgiving and my dad (who is my harshest critic and another mango lover) was obsessed with it! He ate it for dessert after lunch AND dinner! Promise this will be a hit with any kulfi or mango lover out there!
Tips & Tricks
- The first time we made this we mixed the milk, cream and mango together at the same time – but on a subsequent try, we started by beating the heavy whipping cream with a hand mixer for about 5 minutes first and then folded in the condensed milk and mango. Optional but we feel like whipping the cream first gave a creamier kulfi
- You can sub any nuts you like: we’ve tried pistachios and love it too!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: N/A
- Yield: 12-14 dessert servings
- 2 cups unsweetened mango purée – we used Swad Brand
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 pint (236 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 8-12 strands saffron
- Slivered almonds unsalted
- Using a hand mixer, beat heavy whipping cream for about ~5-7 min till fluffy
- Add in mango purée, condensed milk and continue to beat until combined
- Fold in cardamom and saffron and stir to combine
- Transfer to freezable container and sprinkle with almonds
- Refrigerate overnight; when serving let rest at room temperature for ~10 min to make it easier to scoop