Mug Cakes – we all love of them, in fact we have two recipes already on our website: an eggless chocolate and eggless vanilla cake. While we love those recipes (and you should really try them if you haven’t already), I’ve been trying to get more protein in my diet and have been loosely counting macros since the beginning of the year. I try and keep my sweet tooth in check and let myself have the occasional indulgence. What I love about this recipe is that it gives me my dessert fix with the added bonus of having a little extra protein – one serving of this cake has 6 g of protein!
My one request is – DON’T skip the espresso – you might think it’ll taste bitter or that you don’t want the caffeine boost. I get it, I am a self-proclaimed coffee hater (Karthik judges me for this!) but the little pinch of espresso is necessary in this recipe. I can’t explain it but it brings out the chocolate in the cake! I’m so taken with this trick that I might just start doing this for my other chocolate recipes!
Serve this with a dollop of ice cream for your special someone this Valentine’s Day – or just for yourself, we won’t tell.
Tips & Tricks
- You can easily use the Kodiak regular power cakes mix for a chocolate chip mug cake – I would add a splash of vanilla and dash of cinnamon to flavor the plain waffle mix!
- Give the batter a good stir after adding the chocolate chips to make sure they don’t sink to the bottom of the mug
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 80 seconds
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 1/3 cup Kodiak Cakes Dark Chocolate Power Cakes Mix
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1.5 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp neutral oil of choice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Mix oil and milk in a microwave safe bowl
- Add Kodiak Cakes mix, espresso powder and white sugar and mix until smooth and no lumps
- Add in chocolate chips and microwave for 80 seconds
- Let cool for 1-2 min and serve with ice cream of choice