We have tested out a bunch of different kinds of mug cakes and we’ve never been particularly impressed. For the most part, the ones we tried were either too dry, or too eggy and we gave up on the fantasy of the quick microwave cake. Enter last Saturday night – we were binge watching Ozark Season 3 and the chocolate cravings hit. It was bad – with no desserts in the house, we decided to revisit the mug cake. After doing some research online, we decided on a couple things: omitting eggs and increasing the oil content. And…HOLY COW…two simple tweaks landed us a spongey, moist, gooey chocolate cake. Added bonus: you probably have ALL the ingredients in your pantry right now. No COVID grocery trek needed.
That is all – and we apologize in advance if you find yourself making this every night.
Tips & Tricks
- Wipe down the edges of the mug with a wet paper towel to clean the extra batter – if you skip this step, the batter on the edges will burn.
- For a cleaner mug, you can use a separate mixing bowl and pour the batter into the mug (but that’s an extra dish to wash!)
- Mix-ins that work great: a dollop of Nutella or peanut butter.
- Prep time: less than 5 min
- Cook time: 90 seconds
- Yield: 1 serving
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- Splash of vanilla
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (or however many you want!)
- Mix all dry ingredients in a mug with a fork.
- Add vanilla, oil and milk and stir well till you get a smooth batter.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Using a wet paper towel, wipe down the sides of the mug to clean any batter splatter – this will prevent any batter from burning.
- Microwave for 90 seconds and let cool for ~2 minutes.
- Optional: serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.