It’s Super Bowl week! Aka counting down to the one day of the year appetizers shine the most. I’ve typically always been interested in Super Bowl for (1) the aforementioned appetizers and (2) the half-time show (when its good!). However, when I moved to Kansas when Karthik and I got married, I started to actually play attention to the game (Thanks to Mahomes & the Chiefs!) and so I am still mourning our loss to the Bengals and will be drowning my sorrows in appetizers … starting with the popcorn “chikn”!
Everyone who knows us knows we’re pretty big fans of the Morningstar Farms plant based meats – especially their breakfast sausages and patties. Well, these “veggetizers” are a very close second!! They are delish on their own, but we love to cook em up with a little bit of an Asian twist. This recipe is super fast coming together in under 10 minutes, if you have 5 more minutes to spare, I highly recommend making mini skewers with them: we do white cheddar, pineapple and a popcorn chikn for the perfect salty sweet snack.
These little bites go beyond just a Game Day app, we make them a lot (skewer-less) for our Asian nights with a side of broccoli and fried rice! However you decide to serve these babies up, you’re going to love ’em!
Tips & Tricks
- Cook the popcorn chikn according to the microwave instructions first – it saves time rather than cooking on a stove top, the crisp up real nice with the plum sauce so don’t worry about them getting soggy from the microwave!
- With the amount of sauce we use, I do recommend making these right before serving otherwise they do tend to get a little soft the longer they sit out
- You can cook these in the air fryer for about 5-7 minutest at 350F but honestly, there’s not much of a difference in the texture since you coat them in sauce and its faster in the microwave
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Yield: ~24 balls
- 1 pack Morningstar Farms Popcorn Chicken
- 3 oz Plum Sauce (about 1/3 of a bottle), we used Kikkoman brand
- Toasted white sesame seeds
- Microwave popcorn chicken in a bowl for about a minute – we typically do this in two batches, half a bag at a time
- In a skillet add plum sauce and stir till warm, add in popcorn chikn and cook for ~5 minutes
- Add in toasted sesame seeds, stir to coat evenly
- If desired, skewer with pineapple and cheddar for serving as a bite-sized appetizer!