I would venture a guess that eggs form about half of our meals during the week – if you browse our website, you’ll notice a myriad of recipes from masala omelettes to deviled eggs to Indian egg curry. So an Avogoodmeal spin to egg salad was bound to happen at some point! For the last few weeks, we’ve been meal prepping over the weekend to make life with a 3 month old easier. Hummus is one of our meal prep go-to’s because of its versatility as a snack and so one lunch when we were prepping egg salad, we thought why not sub out mayonnaise with hummus – all the creaminess without the fat.
The result? lip smacking deliciousness that has an added win of being protein packed. To be honest, we didn’t even miss the mayo, the hummus provided all the cream factor and didn’t deter from the egg-y taste of egg salad that we love.
Tips & Tricks
- We separate the yolks from the whites and add all the mix-ins to the yolks to get a smooth mixture and then add back in chopped whites, this gives the egg salad a nice texture without the whites getting all smashed
- This recipe is easily customizable to your individual tastes, since the hummus provides creaminess without an overly strong flavor you can feel free to add other additions as you like!
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp hummus (our recipe here)
- 2 tsp pickled red onions (our recipe here)
- 2 tsp pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp relish (optional)
- Salt / Pepper
- Add eggs to a saucepan and add water till just submerged
- Bring to boil and reduce to medium, cook for 15 min
- Turn off heat, drain water and fill with ice cold water to cool
- After cooled for ~5 minutes, peel eggs and slice in half
- Scoop out yolks in a bowl and rough chop egg whites
- To the yolks add hummus, pickled onions & jalapeños, seasonings and relish (if using)
- Mix well with a spoon until you get a creamy uniform mixture
- Add in chopped egg whites and gently fold
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed
- To assemble, spread on toasted bread and sprinkle with dill powder and paprika
You must be logged in to post a comment.