Don’t need to rehash our obsession with eggs & brunch. Instead we’ll talk about our love for Dishoom – an Indian restaurant in London. We are (obviously) picky about Indian food but this restaurant is one of the best we’ve been to outside India and is the first place we go to on every visit. Everything on their menu is amazing, down to even their naan. They also serve an amazing brunch where Eggs Kejriwal makes an appearance. Originally created at the Willingdon Club in Bombay (now Mumbai), the dish itself is very simple: eggs, chilis, cheese, toast. There is something magical about how everything comes together!
Also if you ever go to London – please go eat at Dishoom!
Tips & Tricks
- We made a few tweaks to the OG recipe based on what we had on hand and like most other recipes, we like our version better: we used red onions instead of spring onions and we sprinkled some kitchen king masala on the cheese to give it an extra kick of flavor
- If you want an added kick of spice, the original recipe calls for diced green chilies but we like the milder jalapeño!
- You want to use a hearty bread like sourdough or brioche for this recipe so it will hold up well to all the toppings
- You can use a mixture of cheeses – we’ve done pepper jack or mozzarella but always include sharp cheddar because it pairs really well with the eggs!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 4 slices bread
- Sharp cheddar shredded
- Finely diced red onions
- Finely diced jalapeños
- Kitchen King masala (we like MDH Spices)
- 4 eggs
- Chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Generously spread butter on two slices of bread
- In a pan, toast the bread on both sides for a couple of minutes till toasty
- Transfer to an iron skillet and sprinkle with some cheese
- Add diced onions and jalapeños and a pinch of Kitchen King Masala and salt/pepper
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and low broil for ~5 min
- Meanwhile fry two eggs – traditionally this recipe uses sunny side up eggs, we prefer over medium eggs!
- Place eggs on toast and garnish with cilantro and red pepper flakes!