You can’t go wrong with a quick fried rice – a great way to use up refrigerator veggies, leftover rice and comes together in a cinch. We typically love to eat this with our homemade dumplings and sriracha sauce. Nothing beats it!
We’ve made it with or without egg and sometimes will even add some of our crispy tofu to it. Feel free to play around with the veggie mixture with what you have on hand and top with sesame seeds, scallions and hot sauce! This recipe works best with cold rice because the grains tend not to stick to each other so we usually will use leftover rice. If you’re in a pinch and made rice fresh, just spread the cooked rice on a baking sheet to let it rapidly cool or else you will get clumps in the fried rice.
Tips & Tricks
- If you are using eggs, make sure to beat them thoroughly and scramble them in the end in the middle of your wok. You can also cook them separately and add it to the rice but we like to minimize extra dishes!
- Don’t skip the sesame seeds – they add a great nuttiness. If you have sesame oil on hand, you can sauté the veggies in sesame oil for an added umami
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 cup cooked Basmati rice (or other long-grain rice)
- 1/2 onion Onion
- 2 Serranos / Jalapenos
- 1 Bell pepper (yellow, orange, or red)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
- Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Ginger/Garlic (powder or fresh)
- Sesame Seeds
- 2 eggs beaten (optional)
- Sauté onions/serranos in wok with a few tsp of oil until soft ~5 min
- Add veggies and continue to cook on medium heat ~5 min
- Add ginger, garlic Salt/pepper to taste
- Once veggies are cooked, lower the heat and add the cooked rice
- As you mix, add tamari or soy sauce to taste
- Add a little sriracha and lime juice
- Mix in sesame seeds, can top with toasted sesame seeds if you prefer
- Optional: if you are using eggs in the recipe, make a hole in the middle of the cooked fried rice and pour in beaten egg; quickly scramble them and then stir into rice once the eggs are cooked
You must be logged in to post a comment.