It’s going to be 6 degrees tomorrow morning – we have officially moved from “oh yay its soup season” to “crap, its freaking freezing”. There’s nothing to be done other than survive, and cozy up to a giant bowl of this soup. And when it comes to soups, nothing gets as more excited than a slow cooker recipe that you can turn on at night and let it go till the next day.
This uses not one but TWO of our beloved seasonings from Trader Joe’s: the Everything but Elote and the Vegan Chicken-less – which I think is a severely underrated seasoning! The last time we made this soup, we baked some corn tortilla strips covered in chili-lime seasoning (also Trader Joe’s) as a topper and man was it delish, the acidity of the lime worked perfect with the rich hearty flavors of the soup.
This recipe is for sure one of those that warms you from the inside out – which is exactly what we’re going to need to survive the frigid temps this week in Boston!
Tips & Tricks
- This is a great “throw it all in the slow cooker” recipe; however if you have some more time and want some more depth of flavor you can saute the onions, garlic and peppers for 5-10 min until soft and fragrant before adding to slow cooker
- This soup freezes very well for up to 6 months – when reheating, consider adding a splash of veggie broth or water as the beans tend to soak up a lot of the liquid over time
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 8-10 hours
- Yield: 6 entrée servings
- 3 cans black beans
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can of diced green chiles
- 1 whole white onion diced
- 1 serrano or jalapeno diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups veggie broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Everything but Elote seasoning (Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 tsp Vegan Chicken-less seasoning (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder or cayenne
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours stirring every hours or so
- Adjust seasoning as needed
- Serve with your favorite toppings: sour cream, crispy tortilla strips and hot sauce
You must be logged in to post a comment.