This year I hosted my first (of hopefully many) Christmas Cookie Exchange and one thing I wanted were a few savory bites – nothing to detract from the main attraction (cookies!!!!) but something to balance out the sugar overload. A cookie exchange palate cleanser if you will!
I decided to test this recipe out for Thanksgiving first – we stayed home and had a low key dinner and so it was the perfect opportunity to experiment. I made these in the morning just in case they bombed but my god they were delicious! Think pull apart rolls meet spinach dip in an ooey gooey fantastic mess.
When I remade them for my Christmas Cookie Exchange I arranged the rolls in a little Christmas tree to be more festive and its an understatement how popular these were! So much so that I got a bunch of texts from friends asking for the recipe for their holiday parties and so here we are – me hastily typing up the recipe so YOU can make it for the holidays too!!!
Tips & Tricks
- If you don’t have Kitchen King masala on hand, feel free to substitute with your favorite seasoning: you could use paprika, cajun seasoning or even TJs Everything but the Elote – you just want a strong flavor that will hold up against all the cheese and spinach!
- For the block of cheese – we used Sargento Fiesta Pepperjack as it has a slight kick but you can use any cheese you want. Note that if you use mozzarella, you might want to increase the seasoning to 2 tsp as the mild cheese will dull the flavors
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 rolls
- 1 tube pillsbury pizza dough roll
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 4-5 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeño de seeded diced
- 1 tsp Kitchen King masala
- Block of cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Allow cream cheese to soften to room temperature
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Microwave frozen spinach for 1 minute and squeeze to drain out all liquid
- Add spinach to softened cream cheese and add: onions, jalapeños, salt, pepper and Kitchen King masala, adjust seasoning to taste
- Unroll the pizza dough and cut into 16 equal pieces
- Divide filling equally between the pieces placing a dollop in the center of each pizza cutout
- Place the block of cheese on top of the filling and press down
- Pinch the ends of the dough inwards so you end up with a roll and place it pinched side down on parchment paper or cast iron skillet
- Repeat for all rolls and arrange to touch each other
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 15-17 min
- Serve with cilantro chutney