2020 had a lot of food trends: sourdough starter, dalgona coffee and of course banana bread on repeat. After SEVERAL loaves of our Sour Cream Banana Bread we wanted to mix things up a little and have a slightly fruitier taste – enter this version. Chunky strawberries, dark chocolate chips and the ever comforting banana flavor all come together in a delicious package!
This recipe is slightly different from our other version; this is actually Sneha’s mom’s recipe and we love the moistness that you get from the vegetable oil. If you use an egg substitute such as flax eggs, you can easily make this version vegan! Banana bread is a staple in our holiday gift baskets every year so we think we know a thing or two about good banana bread, this one is definitely up there as a favorite! There’s not reason the banana bread trend can’t continue into 2021 🙂
Tips & Tricks
- You can substitute the flour for whole wheat if you are looking for a healthier alternative, the bread will come out slightly denser but still delicious!
- Add the strawberries at the very end and gently fold the mixture; since strawberries are soft, you want to only lightly combine so that they don’t get mushy
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 1 large loaf or 4 mini loaves
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a bowl, beat oil, water, sugar, eggs and mashed bananas together
- Separately combine flour, baking powder and baking soda
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well.
- Add chopped strawberries and chocolate chips (if using) and gently combine
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan and cook at 350 degrees F ( 180 C) for approximately one hour or until knife comes out clean.