As we’ve gotten older, we’re all about making homemade versions of things we buy at the store – we know exactly what goes into it and can tailor it to our own taste. About a year ago we started this trend with hummus and since then have never had store-bought hummus again! When we plan our starter, the same is true for sourdough english muffins! So it was a natural extension to try our hand at jam.
The great part of this recipe is that you can use frozen berries which means you can make jam year around and not just when berries are in season! It takes longer for the jam to cool than it does to make – its not super sweet like store bought jams and keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 months!
Tips & Tricks
- You can use whatever mix of berries that you like – we personally prefer a mix of blueberries and strawberries.
- You can replace the sugar with honey or maple syrup, but since they are sweeter would reduce the quantity to half of sugar
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 jar
- 500 g mixed berries of choice
- 100 g sugar or stevia
- 2-3 tbsp Chia seeds (optional)
- Purée berries and sugar using an immersion blender till chunky
- Cook on low heat stirring often to make sure it doesn’t stick at the bottom
- If using chia seeds, add in and stir
- Cook for 10-15 min for desired jam like consistency is achieved
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months