It’s no secret that we love brunch – its our most favorite meal of the week and Sunday brunch at home has become our tradition in the past year. We always make a full spread of breakfast food and that usually involves our other true love: eggs! A couple weeks ago, we had different cravings – grilled cheese and hash brown patties we had found at the grocery store and couldn’t decide what we wanted. In the words of Joey from Friends “Put your hands together” and thus was born the breakfast grilled cheese!
The key here is to make the sandwich with eggs and cheese and grill it; then lift up the top slice and slide in the patty. This keeps the hash brown from getting smushed down and gives you a sandwich that is equal parts crispy and ooey gooey with cheese and a hint of heat from the green chutney! we used Swad brands cilantro chutney but also have our own version. Try it today and we promise you’ll be hooked!
Tips & Tricks
- We use frozen hash browns for ease of assembly – we used here the Select brand from Shaw’s
- To grill the sandwich, we used a panini press to give equal heat and grilling but you can also cook it in a pan
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 4 hash brown patties frozen
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cilantro Chutney – store bought or homemade
- Salt / Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- On a greased baking sheet, cook frozen hash brown for 10 min on each side
- Meanwhile, scramble eggs in a pan with salt and pepper
- To assemble sandwiches, spread cilantro chutney and top with shredded cheese and eggs
- Butter the outside of the sandwiches and cook on a panini press for 5 min until cheese is melty
- Remove sandwiches, slowly lift top slice of bread and place one hash brown on each half of the sandwich and press down
- Serve hot with hot sauce or ketchup
You must be logged in to post a comment.