Needless to say Thanksgiving is going to look a lot different than years past – we typically either host or spend it with either of our families where (no surprise) we all cook a big feast together! As vegetarians, some sort of pasta dish is always a staple on our Thanksgiving menu! And why not – between the abundance of fall harvest, different combination of sauces – the possibilities are endless! When you have a long list of dishes to make, advanced meal prep and shortcuts become key to managing stress on Thanksgiving Day! Enter this dish: Broccoli Cheddar Pasta!
It has the ooegy gooey cheesiness of Mac & Cheese (which obvi is THE classic Thanksgiving side dish) paired with the flavors of our favorite soup (broccoli cheddar). Added bonus: the Tofurky packs a protein punch so you’re not carb overloaded! What makes this dish so great is that its jarred pasta sauce. That’s right! No roux, no whisking in grated cheese – just straight up Ragu Double Cheddar sauce! Of course we doctor it with a bunch of jalapeños, serranos and onions but other than that the seasoning is pretty minimal which allows the veggies to shine! We already have made a batch of sauce for this Thanksgiving, even though its going to be the two of us and our 5 month old puppy, if you’re still looking for a yummy pasta side – we hope you’ll try this one out!
Tips & Tricks
- We usually make a large batch of the sauce and freeze individual portions; then when we need to we can just boil our pasta of choice and mix in with the sauce
- We like using a rotini or elbow macaroni to really soak up the sauce flavors but this works great with even gnocchi or zoodles if you’re watching your carb content!
- We love the Tofurky brand sausage and used the Spinach Pesto flavor here; they also have an Italian sausage flavor that would be great
- When making a batch for a large group, we like pouring the pasta into a casserole dish, topping with cheese and crispy onions and broiling on high for a couple of minutes to get that crispy crust
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 serranos diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1 bag frozen broccoli florets
- 2 Tofurky sausage
- 1 bottle Ragu Double Cheddar sauce
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- 1 cup pasta of choice
- Sauté onions and jalapeños/serranos in olive oil until soft and fragrant ~5-7 min
- Add mushrooms and broccoli and cooked covered on medium heat for ~5-7 min
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté medallions of the tofurkey sausage in some olive oil for about 10 min till crispy on both sides
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Add whole can of Ragu sauce and milk to broccoli/mushroom mixture and let simmer
- Add in sliced sausage and stir
- Add in pasta and stir till combined – serve with additional cheese and red pepper flakes
You must be logged in to post a comment.