Is there anything in life better than a warm gooey chocolate chip cookie? Yes there is, a VEGAN warm gooey chocolate chip cookie. A lot of our family eats eggs but don’t particularly like them in baked goods because of the “eggy” smell. Enter these cookies, they are magical. Soft and chewy with melty blobs of chocolate, heaven in a mouthful! An added bonus is that since they’re vegan, you can sneak in a couple of bites of cookie dough without feeling guilty!
The key to these cookies is to refrigerate the dough before baking, with no eggs, this step is important to help everything bind together. While the recipe recommends overnight refrigeration, we have found that about 4 hours is sufficient. We also love making a batch and freezing balls of cookie dough and then baking them fresh! Honestly, we’ve even nuked a frozen cookie dough in a bowl for 45 seconds and eaten it like a skillet cookie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Make a batch TODAY!
Tips & Tricks
- If you are freezing the dough for long-term storage, consider separating balls with squares of parchment paper to avoid sticking; there is no need to defrost, stick them straight into the oven but bake for 19-20 minutes
- While you can use a full cup of just plain sugar, we love the light caramelization you get from the addition of the brown sugar
- The sea salt sprinkle is totally optional but in our opinion it gives THE best salty / sweet combo to the cookies
- Prep time: 4 hours
- Cook time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 14-16 cookies depending on size
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon any neutral oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse-ground sea salt, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the chocolate chips to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the sugars with the oil and water until smooth and incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, and then stir unril incorporated. Cover and refrigerate the dough overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Portion dough into 2-inch mounds. Once all portioned, pop into the freezer for 10 min.
- Sprinkle the balls of dough with coarse-grained sea salt and back for 17 min.
- Let cool completely before serving.
You must be logged in to post a comment.