Sneha: When Karthik and I first started dating, I still lived in Boston – for anyone reading this that does live in Boston, you KNOW Tatte Bakery. They have locations all over the city, it smells like butter as you walk past and pretty much everything they serve is delicious. Well, one of our favorites for Sunday brunch was their Shakshuka, and Tatte is still a must visit on each of our Boston trips since I relocated to Kansas City after we got married. While we will probably never be able to recreate their croissants that we tend to dip in the spicy tomato sauce, we think we’ve gotten pretty damn close at recreating their Shakshuka with our own spin of spices – the smoked paprika is one of our additions, we love the subtle smokiness it gives. And as most of our friends know, we love anything Trader Joes and our current chili obsession is their Bomba sauce which is essentially fermented Calabrian Chili. Add a dollop to the tomato sauce as it cooks for a nice bit of heat!
You can play around with the vegetable mixture and even try some crumbled plant based meat to up the protein in the dish. It’s perfect for a fancy brunch if you’re hosting and is a great quick breakfast for dinner kind of situation! Sop up all the delicious flavors with your favorite carb: we love a good buttery roll or croissant for this one!
Tips & Tricks
- When baking the eggs, they may look glossy on top that you mistake for undercooked, but they will be cooked to an “over easy” consistency in 8 min and an “over medium” consistency by 12 minutes
- You can make the entire batch in one large skillet if you don’t have smaller ones but we like the individual nature of the small skillets (available on amazon.com).
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp Trader Joes Italian Bomba Sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced white mushrooms
- Handful of fresh spinach
- Salt / Pepper
- Sauté onions, jalapeños and garlic in olive oil until fragrant ~5-7 minutes
- Add seasoning and Bomba Sauce
- Add mushrooms and spinach and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes and simmer on medium for ~10 min
- Split sauce between two cast iron skillets
- Make little holes in the sauce and crack 2 eggs in each skillet
- Bake at 375F for 8-12 minutes depending on how runny you like your yolk
- Garnish with pepper and parsley and serve with bread of your choice
Comments are closed.