Masala Chai – masala meaning spice and chai meaning tea is a popular drink in India. An afternoon pick me up that is more milk and spices than it is caffeine, its been popularized by Starbucks over the years. We created this mix that reminds us of Sunday afternoons growing up – just 6 key spices ground together yields this amazing blend that works great in a variety of ways:
- Tea – obviously. Add a teaspoon when boiling your milk, water and loose leaf tea or tea bag (the traditional way to make masala chai)
- Banana Bread – this chai spice blend is one of the two secret ingredients in our recipe (see post)
- Granola – mix a teaspoon or two with your oats before baking
We’ve included a table below to scale the ingredients based on how much spice blend you want to make…and once you make it, you’ll want more!
- 2 Teaspoons – Ground Cardamom
- 2 Teaspoons – Ground Allspice
- 2 Teaspoons – Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Teaspoons – Ground Cloves
- 4 Teaspoons – Ground Cinnamon
- 6 Teaspoons – Ground Ginger
- Gather the spices in a container of your choosing.
- Shake, rattle, roll until it is fully mixed.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Chai Spice Mix
|INGedient||1x (~1/3 cup)||2x (~2/3 cup)||3x (~1 cup)|
|Ground Cardamom||2 tsp||4 tsp||2 tbsp|
|Ground Allspice||2 tsp||4 tsp||2 tbsp|
|Ground Nutmeg||2 tsp||4 tsp||2 tbsp|
|Ground Clove||2 tsp||4 tsp||2 tbsp|
|Ground Cinnamon||4 tsp||8 tsp||4 tbsp|
|Ground Ginger||6 tsp||4 tbsp||6 tbsp|
tsp = teaspoon / tbsp = tablespoon