Countdown to Diwali: T-4 days. Often called the Festival of Lights, Diwali symbolizes the victory of good over evil and like any good holiday is packed full of Indian snacks and sweets! The past few years, we have hosted lunch or dinner with a huge spread of Indian food and desserts and while we will be celebrating alone with our pup this year, we still are planning the food for it!
Traditional Indian sweet are definitely a labor of love and can take a while to make, so we (as always) are on the lookout for faster recipes that still deliver on taste (for example our Mango Kulfi). We saw a few recipes online for a milk powder based Peda and decided to try our hand at it with our own spin on flavors – peda is a milk based Indian fudge that is traditionally made by boiling down milk for a few hours with sugar and spices till almost solid.
Our version here comes together in 15 minutes! Since we both adore mango, we decided to add some unsweetened purée to create a Mango Peda that you can whip up for your Diwali celebration, however you choose to celebrate this year!
Tips & Tricks
- We used unsweetened Mango purée from Swad brand; if you are going to use a sweetened one, cut out the sugar to avoid an overly sweet end result
- Use a whisk to really work the mixture after adding milk powder to make sure you have no clumps in the mixture before it cools
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 pieces depending on size
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1.5 cup mango purée
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 cup milk powder
- 8-10 strands saffron
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- In a tsp of ghee, bring to boil milk and saffron
- Add mango puree and turn to medium; stir till combined and cook for ~2-3 min
- Add sugar and whisk to allow sugar to combine fully
- Add milk powder and whisk vigorously until all clumps are smooth; continue to cook until mixture thickens ~10 minutes
- Add in 1 tbsp of ghee or butter and keep stirring until mixture starts to come away from edges
- Allow mixture to cool and then shape into 1 inch balls, flatten with a spoon
- Garnish with sliced pistachios and store in an airtight container
You must be logged in to post a comment.